Review: 10 albums you ought to have
Yeah so the passion of actually writing something about music has shrivled up. But you always have to share the love, you know? So here is a rundown of 10 albums I have discovered over the past few years that I think you might wanna give a listen to. And in no particular order here they are:
- Concealed by Augury – technical death metal with hints of Cynic, black metal influences and some kinda cool choral arrangements. Angry shit indeed!
- Holographic Universe by Scar Symmetry – Swedish technical melodic death metal. Dunno, I just really like the laid back sound of this album. The singing is alot more digestible than non-stop cookie monster vox. I also like the lyrical content as it is on par with Cynic and Death
- Riders of the Plague by The Absence – Kinda a combination of Swedish technical death metal and American thrash metal. Every song on this album is kick ass. These guys have the sound so many wanna-be’s try to sound like.
- In Search of Light by Aabsinth - these guys have a sound that is very hard to describe. Its definitely metal and sometimes they sound like the same genre as Mastodon and then sometimes they have a death metal sound. I can’t say that I really focus on the music so much as enjoy having it in the background.
- Nemesis by Super Heavy Goat Ass – yeah these guys are kinda a jamming rock band with a mix of some southern rock roots. Good shit. And they are from Texas so I gotta love em.
- …And They Shall Take Up Serpents by Byzantine – angry thrash metal w/ more riffs than you can shake a stick at. Another band I can’t really say I like from a per song basis but rather for the atmosphere. Phil Anselmo anyone?
- Bullet in your Head by Made of Hate – thrash metal. Just fun music. When you get tired of all the brutality and technicality of day’s death metal, this is more easy going. Not to say they aren’t technical but they have a bit of space which allows the music to breath.
- Planetary Duality by The Faceless – brutal technical death metal at its best. These guys are on par with Necrophagist, Psycroptic and the like. Who would have thought such awesome b.t.d.m. would come out of Kansas?
- Sumerian Daemons by Septic Flesh – These guys are alot like Augury. They have the brutal death metal sound down but they also infuse it with sounds of choral and symphonic elements. They have super fast and they have easy going chug metal too.
- At the Soundless Dawn by The Red Sparowes – all instrumental post-rock (who in the hell makes up these names for the genres?) Anyway they sound on par with bands like Isis, Pelican and 5ive. Its not about riffs and technicality, its about painting a picture with the music. If you listen to nothing but metal, you ought to give these guys a listen to broaden your horizons.
I could keep going but I don’t want to burn out doing this. Plenty of places to find these more obscure bands. Let me know if you have a hard time finding them.